Wednesday, February 2, 2011

some of my random thoughts

I don't much like to write blogs considering the majority of students in Dr. Sexson's class are nevertheless brilliant writers. I myself am not one. Business is usually the form of writing I use due to long papers with lots of thought being critisized as "too lengthy". Cut out anything that isn't absolutely necessary... ah me. But I thought I would share some interesting thoughts that have crossed my mind over the past few weeks.

I find it interesting that Matt Groening (the creator of The Simpsons and Futurama) has named two of his characters after Homer and Frye. We've been talking a great deal about Frye lately and obviously Homer is a pretty big mythological character in himself. It makes me wonder if this was on purpose. Homer is above all the most fictional character in The Simpsons. A man by all means should have died numerous times throughout the series. But yet he ends up plugging through a story line each and every week but somehow always ends up back where he started. At home, working at the nuclear power plant with 2.5 children. But every episode has a allegory.

Fry on the other hand, seems to be opposite of the Frye we speak of. Being zapped into the future leaves him dumbfounded and needs many things explained to him. The only thing Fry is interested in is doing the right thing and getting the woman of his dreams to love him back. I do not watch Futurama as much so thats about the gist of that. I just found it interesting,
In response to us all following in our ancestors times... I can completely relate! Being trained in improv to the point of VOMITING I completely understand. Even something that is supposed to be fun and spontanious is overtaken by rules. I can't tell you how many time I was told "improv has no rules, but you did that wrong" What is new anymore? I wish we all weren't repeating the past but talking about just doing everything over again is so true.

Talking about Persephone and the underworld got me thinking about watching my boyfriend play the game "Dante's Inferno" I don't play Xbox games mind you, I find myself hitting one of the swirly stick things and the screen just goes in circles while some sort of villain is slaying me all the while my boyfriend is screamin
 "pull out your dragon forcefield sword!"
"My what?!"
"Press A then the trigger on the right, then X then double back to your left trigger!"

Like its that simple. He may as well just tell me to spin around with my feet in mashed potatoes doing the can can... actually I could probably do that better. Anyway, watching the game was infactuating. Before writing this blog I did some research on it and came to find

"At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost" (opening line of The Divine Comedy).

This is representing a part of the game when Dante first is introduced to hell. All he wants is his darling Beatrice back. Hmmm love is a great part of why we do what we do. I take this quote with me and think he has gone into the woo'd. He's going where Theseus does not want us to go. And as the game continues, I wouldn't want to go there either. I believe he even encounters Persephone in the underworld. But then again, sometimes I lost interest because my silly boyfriend kept dying and the level would start over. The point being, this strange connection to everything is starting to freak me out. I would have never guessed researching a video game would bring me to so many literary works, Comedy which relates back to A Midsummers Nights Dream. Which we've been talking about about the wood around the story... the myth of it all. Creepy isn't it? How it is all connected. Now that I officially have the goosebumps... I'll try and sleep now... hopefully I don't offend any shadows...


No comments:

Post a Comment